Homeschooling Gift Ideas
Sometimes it is difficult to know what to buy homeschooled children to make the learning process more fun and educational. Whether you are a homeschooling parent, or the friend of a homeschooling family, these gift suggestions will provide you with some great ideas for educational gifts for the homeschooled child.
The following gifts have the dual benefit of being both fun and educational. In the homeschooling environment, they also make unique and entertaining teaching tools:
- The Tree Puppet: This is a 17 inch puppet shaped like a tree. It has various holes throughout it for animal finger puppets. What a fun opportunity for children to learn about various animals and their place in the world. The finger puppets are also removable, meaning that the puppets are also great to use for story telling, both by the child and by the teacher.
- The Mega Volcano: This kit contains a 12 inch volcano, as well as paints, dinosaurs and the recipe for making lava. This kit has actually been used at some of the science fairs for elementary aged kids. Boys especially like this idea.
- The Busy Body Book: This book is ideal for the homeschooling parent. Basically, it is an organizer complete with a grid where you can schedule and coordinate all of the activities for each member of the family. It even has space for meal planning and homework schedules.
- The Teaching Tank: This is a simple but awesome little science aid. It doesn’t require much in the way of tools, and allows the child to see exactly what is going on with the root of a plant, worms or other small creatures. It is also very user friendly and easy to clean.
- Voice Recorder For Toddlers: Developed by the people at Parent’s Magazine, this voice recorder looks like a mobile phone. Aimed at the toddler market, it is geared so that they can record their voice, or you can record yours, and the toddler can play it back with ease. It also comes with sounds and songs, to entertain your child as well as educate.
- The Animal Hospital: This is another product from Parent’s Magazine. The animal hospital comes with 3 animals for the child to care for. There is also a carrying kit and very realistic looking veterinary tools. You need only provide the battery for the included flashlight.
- The Fly Fusion: This is a very cool gift for a pre-teen or teenager. The Fly Fusion is a pen that is much more than a pen. When you use the Fly Fusion Pen to write on the Fly Fusion paper, it transfers it to a digital format that can be uploaded onto a PC and converted to text. The pen also stores mp3 files.
- Leapfrog Leapster: Leapfrog products are always a hit. This learning game system allows your child to write, paint, draw and play games that encourage them to enjoy math, reading, and to be creative.
- Cook Books For Kids: There are tons of these out there on the market, but this is always a tried and true gift. Kids have a natural curiosity to know what Mum and Dad are doing in the kitchen and they want to help.
- Tell Me More: This software is designed to teach a child another language – English, Spanish, German, Italian, Chinese, French, Arabic or Japanese. Once the software is purchased, you can actually create an account for everyone in the family. This is a great investment in your child’s future because there is a growing demand for multi-lingual abilities in the workplace.
Melissa Murdoch has a passion for life span development and education, and believes wholeheartedly that a healthy society begins at home. For further information on how to get started in homeschooling, please visit YourHomeschoolCommunity.com.